Department of archeology of the Middle ages and Modern times
In the composition Centre of archeology and ancient history of Belarus.
The department was formed in 2013
on the basis of the department of archaeology of the Middle Age period.
Kontakt: Institute of History of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus, 220072, Minsk,
str. Akademicheskaya, 1, room. 208.
Head of the department:
Candidate of Historical Sciences
Koshman Vadim Ivanovich
|The staff members of the department include:
– Peter F. Lysenko, Doctor, chief researcher;
– Irina V. Ganetskaya, PhD, senior researcher;
– Oleg V. Iov, PhD, senior researcher;
|– Sergei D. Dernovich, researcher;|
– Elena F. Kasyuk, researcher;
– Anna G. Timofeenko, researcher;
– Alexander N. Maksimovich, junior researcher;
– Anna S. Yaskovich, junior researcher.
Is being taught as a post-graduate student of the department
Dmitry N. Lindenkov.
The main directions of scientific research of the department:
- • archaeological investigations and excavation of sites of the Middle Ages and Modern History;
- • cultural and chronological identii cation of the archaeological artefacts of the Middle Ages and the Modern History;
- • ethnic history of Belarusian territories on the basis of archaeological sources;
- • social and economic development of the Old Rus’ princedoms in Belarusian territories during the Middle Ages and the Modern History on the basis of archaeological data;
- • details of systems of settlements, material and spiritual culture of the population of the Belarusian territories during the Middle Ages and the Modern History on the basis of archaeological data;
- • carrying out archaeological research in construction areas; inventory and development of zones of protection of the archaeological sites which have been included in the List of the Historical and Cultural Values of the Republic of Belarus.
The general research subject matter in 2016–2020:
«Belarusian territories in the Middle Ages and Early Modern History (the 16th – 18th centuries)».
The major results of scientific researches of the department:
- • presentation of the history of the ancient Belarusian urban places such as Polotsk, Lukoml, complex on the River Menka, Turov, Pinsk, Brest and the castles of Hlusk and Svisloch, their topography, houses-dwelling, features of the material and spiritual culture on the basis of the analysis of archaeological and written sources;
- • development of ethnic history of Northern, Central and Southern Belarus, approval of the thesis about synchronous formation of the Kryvichy and the Dregovichy;
- • definition of inl uential features of population settlement patterns of the Middle Ages and the Modern History, their stages and discovery of connection with the volosts of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania;
- • scientific presentation of archaeological artefacts reflecting daily life of the medieval population of the Belarusian territories.
The major products of the department have found reflection in a number of scientific articles, as well as in monographs:
- Штыхов Г.В. Лукомль: археологический комплекс железного века и средневековья. – Минск: Беларус. навука, 2014 . – 167 с.
- Штыхаў Г.В. Узнікненне Лагойска. Гісторыка-археалагічны нарыс. – Мінск: Беларус. навука, 2015. – 106 с.